Year Ending Lists: 2010′s Most Read Posts
Maybe you haven’t heard, but websites like lists. A lot. Especially at the end of the year. We promise to only throw a couple of these your way though. This is one of them.
2010 turned out to be a big year at Punching Kitty with every month bringing loads of new readers and record traffic, so just like last December, its a good time to take a look back at the posts the reading public found most attractive. This list is based purely on traffic which is kinda of a crap metric since things that the beginning of the year get an obvious boost, but it’s still the best we’ve got that this point. No matter, hopefully the new readers we’ve picked up will be able to catch up on the work we did earlier in the year.
Look for our Top 10 personal favorite stories list later this week.
A crazy year (that looks to continue in to 2010) for local sex blogger, then only known as “The Beautiful Kind”, all started when, with a flurry of cryptic tweets, her popular blog vanished from the internet. It didn’t take much to guess what happened though: The anonymous blogger had been outed.
The acclaimed, anonymous, and St. Louis based erotic blog The Beautiful Kind really felt like it was just starting to take off. Much like this very blog, it was included in the recent list of favorite blogs by the Riverfront Times and we kept hearing more and more people naming themselves as readers to the constantly updated titillating stories of threesomes, butt-sex [Editor’s Note: Is butt-sex hyphenated?] and partner swapping.
Though we aren’t sure of the time of the change, some time yesterday thebeautifulkind.com was removed along with all of its content and replaced with a message from “TBK’s web guru” admitting that “the site will remain closed until further notice.”
She weathered that storm though, to only find herself in a few others later in 2010 after bringing her blog back, all of which we dutifully reported on while trying our damnedest to not “insert” too many dick jokes in to the reporting of her seriously crazy year.
So…maybe you heard about this one…because it was freaking everywhere in September. Deadspin.com’s Will Leitch had it on his personal blog, it was mentioned in the Post Dispatch as well as countless random Cardinals, Reds, and Cubs blogs. All we did was post a Craiglist ad looking for the Cardinal team we had in April.
Here’s how we thought it would go when we came up with the idea: We liked the idea of the post (obviously) but were worried that it was too short, not enough jokes, and would get yanked from Craigslist in about two seconds since jokes don’t usually last long on there in the “serious” buying and selling pages.
Never underestimate how much this town loves it’s Cardinals and how pissed off we were last year.
…speaking of the lost Cardinal season of 2010, remember when Brad Penny made a pit stop in St. Louis to throw a few innings, hit a grand slam and then head for the trainers room? Good times. Apparently we all took solace in the fact that at least this square-headed, paper mache pitcher has drug the pineapple through quite a few sexy ladies in his day. At the time we hypothesized:
Jesus, its like this guys privates are made of dark chocolate.
In a related story Ray King recently drew a face on a pillow and named it Sarah.
We hear Ray King and his pillow girlfriend are still doing well.
Portly Cardinals broadcaster Dan McLaughlin makes his first appearance on this list in the post about how no one likes him. Fun times for Danny Mac.
It all started with that “De-motivational” poster someone made in his honor and ended with us receiving a few comments and an inbox full of “Here’s why I think Dan McLaughlin is a douche bag…” stories.
If we have to pick one…
some of the security guys at busch loathe the guy. the one constant in all the stories i’ve heard are the “do you know who i am?” types of responses they get to the “sir, you can’t park your car in a fire zone”, etc. normally you wouldn’t think too much of it, it’s just that the only other story like this i’ve heard from these same people are about barry bonds.
if you think about all the huge personalities from all reaches of the media that these people see on a daily basis, if the only stories of prickish behavior i get are about dan mclaughlin and barry freaking bonds…well, it’s not going to leave a great impression.
This one was a surprise. Apparently people are interested in where hobo tent forts are forming in town, or Hopeville, the newly located homeless camp, got wifi.[Read More]
Saturday Kiss Cam Hangover: The Top 10 Kiss Cam Photoshops
Because of the popularity of yesterday’s post on the Cardinals Kiss Cam controversy (say that 10 times fast), we have a few trailing notes that we wanted to share via a special weekend post!
– Largely ignored in the previous post, we should have given the Cardinals, as a whole, more credit. Good for them for promoting (kinda) a “Out at the Ballpark” day. No matter what happens with the Kiss Cam at the game today, this is a nice gesture and a step in the right direction.
– The Vital Voice did a great video about the “Out at the Ballpark” day along with their own coverage of the Kiss Cam noise. Watch through the end for their own take on the Kiss Cam. “First Gay Day At Busch Stadium / Kiss Cam Controversy“
– We loved making them and more than a few of your expressed that you really enjoyed our collection of “odd” Kiss Cam’s that dotted the right side of the initial post. For that reason, and the fact that we made a few more that didn’t make it in the post, we present to you the..
Top 10 Kiss Cam Photoshops
10. The Kissing Fatties – Notice the bag of Cheetos that we swear to you were in the original photo.
9. The Pariere Dogs – Life on the pariere was never the same after this.
8. Woman and Horse – No idea how she got that horse up in to the stands.
7. The White Sox – …If this Greek-warrior level of closeness worked for them, maybe Tony should look in to it.
6. Batman and Robin – No shock here. You knew it, we knew it, they knew it.[Read More]
Top 10 Tips For Those Moving to the City
What?! It happens! Sometimes people move to the city. Maybe they are athletes or maybe they just want to fill their Foursquare feed with more hipster places…either way, it happens.
Here are some tips from Punching Kitty skewed towards people from the area that are moving to the city. Feel free to add your own in the comments.
10. If you called it Missou-rah, that’s fine. Stop now though.
9. We’d like to say “Get rid of your truck.” but we can’t. Lots of people have them, though we aren’t sure why.
8. If you’re from out west, this is a black guy:
They’re cool, so you be too.
7. Hey, nice trendy neighborhood! …Guess what though, 6 months ago an old lady was shot so someone could steal her food stamps 2 blocks away from your fancy place. No matter how many tapas restaurants you have in walking distance, it all St. Louis. You want to be an uppity little bitch about your neighborhood? Move to Ladue. Otherwise, don’t compare neighborhoods you don’t know about. City veterans hate that.
6. Cardinal games are great when the “trip” home is all of 10 minutes max.
5. You want to eat a restaurant? Tons of options. You want to go to a grocery store? Your options are too ghetto or too fancy. The county still has us beat on this one.
4. This is an example of two dudes kissing. It doesn’t happen all the time, but if you wander by Manchester & Sarah on a Saturday night, we don’t want you to be surprised.
Click through the jump to read the top 3![Read More]