A state court jury in Jackson County, Mo., returned an $11 million verdict Thursday against industrial hog producers Premium Standard Farms Inc., a subsidiary of Smithfield Foods, and the privately held ContiGroup Cos. (previously Continental Grain) in favor of residents living near the defendants’ 4,300-acre factory hog farm in northern Missouri.
The verdict, covering 11 years of damages, is the largest monetary award against a hog farm in an odor nuisance case.
Damn dude. A Million a year for stink.
In addition to the Rams, the following other people or organizations should really watch out because the precedent is now set.
- 1380AM’s Kevin Slaten.
- Anyone by the name of Bruce.
- People with bluetooth ear pieces.
- You, if you made more than 3 tweets about the Oscars last night.
- The Schnucks on South Grand
- Guys that bring air horns to every event.
- Dudes with leather jackets and really nice tennis shoes that come ask you for a dollar.
- The owner of Papa John’s. (No one cares that you can throw a football.)
- People that say “Fixin’”
via St. Louis Business Journal
[Editor’s Note: The picture of the Gorilla might be the coolest photo ever featured in a Punching Kitty post. That is all.]